Friday, February 15, 2008

Alias Grace




It is true that a sentence on the back cover of this novel show to me:"The novel and its characters will continue to haunt the reader long after the final page."
ENCOUNTER...
I am such a bookworm before I came to Montreal. I enjoy reading since I was very young and I was crazy about reading and finding books during my high school period. But when I came here, I flinched by bookstore. Not only because of the extremely expensive price of books, but also I was afraid of reading real English books---the length and too many new words threatened me. This kind of situation continued until I encountered with ALIAS GRACE...
When Adrianne gave the introduction of all the books, I had a hard time to make the choice. I'm not very interested in murder and mystery story and none of the authors I am familiar with. I decided to check them on the internet (eventhough Agrianne asked that did not check )...But I forgot...Therefore, I had to choose one that looked like interesting. I picked ALIAS GRACE because I remembered that Adrianne recommended the style of writing very strongly.

ACQUAINTANCE...

At the beginning , I was confused by too many different descriptive methods---episodic memory of Grace Mark, newspapers report, interview, poetry that is full of darkly hints...I tried to figure out the whole event clearly but I can't so that I even thought it was the worst reading experience that I have ever had. I was so upset that I couldn't finish the first part during the weekend. When we discussed on Monday, Tomas explain me some things that made my mind clear, so I pushed myself to read quickly and jumped some details which are not very important.

FALLING IN LOVE...

Lili told us that the first part of all the novels is difficult to read...that's right. I kept reading and found that it became much more interesting than before. When I finished half of the book, I addicted unconsciously. What interesting is that I was attracted by the writing style of Margaret Atwood rather than the story. She uses very beautiful language to describe, sometimes I don't even konw I'm in the story or not. However, I still have trouble with complicated clues...Atwood created a amazing charactar---Grace mark,with a very conflicting behaviour. I really enjoy following her narrative that recalled her life, stand in Grace's view, many opinions illumined me...

AFTERTAST...

One week is too short to read such a beautiful literature, it's worth to be read for several times...

REACTION TO THE WHOLE NOVEL PROJECT...
Class discusstion really helps me to understand the story better, and you will know that it's not only you feel very pressure to finish this huge book in one week...
Writing book review gives me a chance to unscramble my thoughts and finds out the most important points of the book. It's difficult,but I feel good after I finish it.
I'm not satisfied with my oral presentation, terrible pronunciation is always a problem but what I really care about is that I didn't express the things that I want to share with you guys clearly enough...Forgive my poor English,if you have time,please be patient and read ALIAS GRACE slowly.I hope that you will enjoy it.

1 comment:

Jarno said...

For your understanding of this book, I know what you want to express. It is complex...don't worry...I think our audience will remember our presentation(: See, Jung is interested in Alias Grace right?